CEREC crowns are a type of dental crown. These Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics crowns are created using computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) technology. This means that the entire process of designing, creating, and fitting the crown can be completed in a single dental appointment at same-day dental care Fairfax, VA, whereas traditional porcelain crowns require multiple appointments and visits to the dental laboratory.
Here are some of the differences between CEREC crowns and traditional porcelain crowns:
1. Speed: As mentioned, CEREC crowns can be created and fitted in a single appointment, which means you can walk out of the dental office with a new crown in just a few hours. Traditional porcelain crowns, on the other hand, require at least two appointments, with a waiting period of several days or weeks in between.
2. Precision: CEREC crowns are created using computer-guided technology, which ensures that the crown is a precise fit for your tooth. Traditional porcelain crowns, on the other hand, are made by hand by a dental technician, which may introduce some variation in the final product.
3. Material: CEREC crowns are made of high-quality ceramic material, which is both durable and esthetically pleasing. Traditional porcelain crowns are also made of porcelain but may be fused to a metal base to increase their strength.
4. Cost: While the initial cost of a CEREC crown may be higher than a traditional porcelain crown, the fact that it can be completed in a single appointment may save you money in the long run, especially if you factor in the cost of multiple appointments and temporary crowns.
Few CEREC Crown Facts
- Single-visit crowns, also known as CEREC (Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics) crowns, are dental crowns that can be fabricated and placed in just one visit to the dentist's office.
- CEREC technology uses computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) to create dental restorations in-office, eliminating the need for traditional impressions and multiple appointments.
- Single-visit crowns can be used to restore teeth that have been damaged due to decay, cracks, or fractures. They can also be used to replace old fillings or to improve the appearance of discolored or misshapen teeth.
- With CEREC technology, a digital scan or dental x-rays Fairfax VA of the patient's tooth is taken and used to create a 3D model of the restoration, which is then milled from a block of ceramic material using a specialized machine.
- CEREC technology is constantly evolving and improving, and it is becoming more widely available at dental practices around the world.
CEREC crowns offer a faster, more precise, and more convenient alternative to traditional porcelain crowns. However, the best option for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences, so it's important to discuss with your dentist about your options.